Monday, January 17, 2011

When The Flood Gates Open, The Green Paper Flows Out

When I was employed, I had a problem.  Well, I had lots of problems, but that's neither here, nor there.  Anyway, my problem as it relates to this blog is that I could go days without spending any money.  And then once I began to spend (usually on a weekend), the floodgates just opened.  That's what happened this weekend.

Technically the spending isn't over yet since there's a trip to Hot Doug's with a group of people from Yelp who (mostly) took the day off.  But since I only get the veggie dog, that should be under $10.  But, probably won't.

I consider it to be my, slightly delayed, celebration of unemployment, however.  That and the fact that Pittsburgh and Green Bay both won while I was in a crowd of Steelers and Packers fans on Saturday.  Still, the $40 that I spent on Miller Lite at a pizza joint hit home a bit harder since I don't know when the next time I'll have a steady income is.  I mean, for $40 I should have been drinking beer and not flavored water.

Anyhow, there's not much excuse for spending money since I discovered something pretty amazing through a friend of a friend on Facebook.  Most shows that don't feature national acts at Empty Bottle are free if you RSVP on their website (http://www.emptybottle.com/home.php) 24 hours in advance!

Now, I did this for Del Rey last week and pulled a no show since I didn't feel well.  I hope I'm not blacklisted since it's one of the best deals going in Chicago for live music.  I guess the broke hipsters (not to be confused with the amazing site) who frequent that place really have a lot of pull.

This week coming up (through Friday) is also a free week for the Shedd Aquarium.  So if I wanted to appreciate the beauty of slightly off-color water (and I probably will), I was better off just doing it there.

But there are more playoff games this week, so after chilling at home as much as possible, I'm sure it will be off to the bar again on Sunday to drop a ton of money.  And maybe win some if the Bears get "upset" (a tough feat to do as underdogs) against the Packers.

No comments:

Post a Comment