Wednesday, January 26, 2011

How I Spent The Third Week of the Rest of My Life

Sick days are not as much fun when you're unemployed.  I'm learning that today.  Far from feeling like a vacation, I feel like I want to get out of bed and play on a nice, warmer Chicago day (or at least go watch Fulham v. Liverpool at Small Bar - Fullerton) but completely lack the energy.

At least I stocked up on supplies a couple of days ago.

But the more I stay inside, the further it seems that I want to go.  Yesterday I found myself enthralled by a travel commercial for a trip to the Caribbean.  The cheap airfare, of course, would be offset by the fact that the hotel is probably not as forgiving price-wise.  But it seems as though a lot of other people I know took vacations while unemployed, so I figure I might as well during the same situation.  Of course, this involves me getting my mysterious severance check.  I don't want to call about it, but I think I'll inquire with the person who was laid off the same day about it.

Even without a vacation, this last week was pretty expensive.  Though most of it was medical.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 18 ($137.07)

  • 11:09 a.m. U.S. Post Office - Clemente Branch - Free.  I went to pick up what I thought was one box of person effects from my old work.  It turned out to be four boxes.  Without a car, I had no way of getting them home so I just got information on how to get it redelivered.
  • 11:46 a.m. Chicago Public Library - Bucktown/Wicker Park Branch - $0.30.  My uncle gave me a printer for the holidays but I still haven't set it up yet as it will just be one more thing to pack if I move.  So I went to the Logan Square Library to print up my insurance cards before I went to the post office.  I discovered it doesn't open until noon on Tuesdays so I took the bus to the Bucktown Library.  The express computers are hidden there but I got out by noon which was when I wanted to finish my errands.
  • 12:36 p.m. Walgreens - Free.  I was worried since this was the first time I tried to use my insurance card.  I wasn't even sure if it was real or a scam.  When the pharmacy assistant couldn't find it on system, I got more worried.  Eventually the pharmacist did and, thankfully, told me it only saved $10.00.  I didn't bother filling the prescription.
  • 1:20 p.m. Target - Free.  When I first got to Target (which felt almost as bad as filling my prescription at Walgreen's), the pharmacy assistant told me I needed a new prescription from my doctor to get my meds.  I managed to convince him to call over to Walgreens and he did, asking for help the entire time.  I had the thought, "this incompetent guy has a job and I don't," but I quickly dismissed it from my mind.
  • 1:46 p.m. Chipotle Mexican Grill - $6.38.  Knowing I wanted to take my Effexor as soon as I got it from Target (I was told it would be a 45 minute wait), I went across to Chipotle.  Had I not, I felt like I might pass out or go off on the Target staff.
  • 2:39 p.m. Target - $130.39.  Even though I came back over an hour after the first visit, I was told that the pills still were not ready.  The same incompetent employee came out to show me the price.  It was still only $10.00 cheaper at Target - but $14.00 cheaper than it would have been at Walgreens.  So that was something.
  • 7:03 p.m. AMC Loews 600 North Michigan 9 - Free.  My friend Tony won free tickets to the premier of No Strings Attached.  I wasn't going to pass up on a free movie.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 19 (Free)

THURSDAY, JANUARY 20 ($24.00)

  • 2:37 p.m. Logan Theater - $4.00.  Even though the choices were slim, I went to see Megamind to get out of my apartment.
  • 7:03 p.m. Whole Foods Market - $20.00.  I had signed up for a Food and Beer Pairing class a week or so prior and I'm glad that I did.  The vegetarian options tasted so amazing that I wondered when the next chance I was going to get to have food this good would be.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 21 (Free)

SATURDAY, JANUARY 22 ($20.00)

  • 1:45 p.m. Blue Line Club Car - Free.  I had made plans to go to The Southern whether anyone else wanted to go or not.  It turned out a couple of people wanted to go and I met up with them a Blue Line.  They were both having Bloody Mary's.  But since I hadn't eaten yet (and wanted to save money), I just got a water.
  • 2:18 p.m. The Southern - $20.00.  I almost felt guilty at how little money I had spent here in relation to the amount of free food that I had been given.  But I really went there to satisfy my macaroni and cheese craving because there was a silly boycott of cheese products by certain Bears fans to spite Green Bay.  And whenever there's a silly boycott, I make it a point to break it.  And I got the side of grits, which blew my mind.  I actually only spent $17.00, but I forget to get my change as I was still a bit out of it.  Hence, $20.00.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 23 ($20.00)

  • 1:04 p.m. Michael's Original Pizzeria & Tavern - $20.00.  After what I spent on football the last week there, I was a bit scared to be among the people who were Green Bay and Pittsburgh fans.  But I couldn't handle being around Bears fans so I went anyway.  Thankfully, we split the bill by tables so I got some of their delicious pizza, part of four pitchers or beer, and an order of nachos for $20.00.  It felt like a bargain and I was still there for 8 hours.

MONDAY, JANUARY 24 ($23.28)

  • 1:15 p.m. Northwestern Arkes Medical Pavilion - Free.  While I liked not paying a co-pay to see my doctor to get my meds changed to a cheaper option, the bill that will eventually arrive scares me a bit.  At least when it arrives, I'll have money to pay it.
  • 2:06 p.m. Soupbox - $7.03.  It was warmer in Chicago than it had been, but a wind gust as I walked up the Magnificent Mile made me want to duck in for some warm soup.  The soup was a bit disappointing and more expensive than I thought it would be.  But it did warm me up.
  • 3:07 p.m. Walgreens - $16.25.  I was pretty much out of everything made of paper in my apartment.  I bought in bulk this time so I won't have to go back.

So that's $224.35.  Not exactly what I would want to spend in a week, but minus the meds, it was only $94.35.  So that's not too bad at all.  My total money spent since I've been unemployed is $481.69.

No comments:

Post a Comment