Tuesday, January 18, 2011

This Medicine Is Supposed To Make Me Happy, Not Upset Me

Today was a testimony in frustration.  I figured on the second anniversary of getting laid off, I would pretend like I still had a job and get up nice and early to run the errands I had to run.

First of all, I should have known better than to think that I would want to go outside once the reports of ice and my friends slipping on it started to come in on Facebook and Twitter.  And, secondly, I should have known that I would not want to go to sleep at a decent hour to accomplish this if I didn't have to.  When I finally did go outside at 10:30 a.m., I should have realized this wasn't going to be my day.

I did discover that the Logan Square Library isn't open until noon.  I figured I'd pass the time picking up my personal effects which were being held at the post office.  When I got there I discovered that I had four boxes waiting.  Four.  I guess things build up in 11 years.  I finally just printed off my insurance cards at the Bucktown branch.

The most soul sucking errand, however, was getting my prescriptions filled.  I went to Walgreens first, only to be told that they only gave $10 off with my prescription discount card.  I checked the card's site and it looked like Target had it for much cheaper.  After dealing with the less competent employees and long waits there, I was really hoping that was how they kept cost down (like Wal-Mart).

However, it turned out to be the same $10 discount.  I had accidentaly looked up Effexor as opposed to Effexor XR.  But that did bring up a bit of advice...

If anyone reading this is on a prescription, check with you insurance to see if a similar prescription (in this case, a high dose as opposed a gradual dose) is available and check with your doctor to see if they'll switch it.


Here's my example:

  • Effexor 75 MG XR: $154.86
  • Venlafaxine 75 MG XR: $127.52
  • Effexor 75 MG: $42.75
  • Venlafaxine 75 MG: $34.26

I mean, I had that extra $100.00 now, but it would probably come in handy in the future.  I left a voice message with my doctor to change the script, but I haven't heard back yet.

One of the lovely side effects of suddenly stopping Effexor (besides crying spells) is head rushes.  I was getting those pretty bad, so I couldn't wait to get the prescription filled this time.  Next time I know to check in advance.  Or I should have just gone on the internet where I just discovered that Pfizer has a $4 co-pay deal (http://www.effexorxr.com/) that takes $50 off the higher price one.

Live and learn and cry a little, I guess.  At least I'm happy now.

4 comments:

  1. When my company laid me off I attempted to keep a schedule. That lasted all of two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I slept in on the first day and ever since. My body at rest tends to stay at rest. I've gotta break that cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Effexor XR never worked as well for me anyway. And yes, withdrawal is a head-spinning sonofabitch. Hope you get it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Effexor XR has worked well for me. I was on Setraline before it and that just made me sick to my stomach and make my leg shake.

    ReplyDelete