Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I Got The Mail Today, Oh Boy

So, for those who have been following me through the first few entries of this blog (especially since most of you know me in real life), you'll note that I have been trying to avoid making decisions.  I have barely even thought about whether I'm going to stay in Chicago or move to Washington D.C.  Let alone if I want to get out of bed in the morning (hint: the answer is usually no).

But some decisions can't be put off much longer.  Like health insurance.  My most refill prescription for generic Effexor XR (huzzay for happy pills) is almost out.  And my Flonase prescription is running on fumes.

So, when I got home from the gym, I was geeked to see that my COBRA packet arrived in the mail.  Until I opened it.  Now I want to set it on fire.  But then I'll probably have to get a stronger prescription than Effexor so I think I'll refrain.  Here's the quote:

Health PPO with HRA: $466.56
Dental: $36.76
HRA with Health: $1.02
Total: $504.34

Yeah, that's a month.  While it gave me a new love for my old employer and the benefits they provided, I am not going to pay that.  So I did a quick Google search for individual health insurance.  And the Aetna site came up.  Ironically, this was the company that my former employers had health benefit under before switching to Blue Cross/Blue Shield.  They had a plan for $123.00 a month that seemed to fit my needs.

Now I'm surfing the internet looking for a medium deductable plan (using mainly this site: http://www.healthinsuranceweb.com/).  I mean, if the co-pay on the generic prescriptions I have is the $15 that it seems to be, the plan pretty much pays for itself.

These seem to be my options: https://www.getinsured.com/show-plans.php?affid=88

I think tomorrow during the day, I'm going to go to Walgreens and check how much my two prescriptions are  and decide then.

Then again, I also got a link from a friend back home on getting reduced priced prescriptions through the mail (thanks Jenny): http://www.needymeds.org/

I also need to check that out.  Ugh, another decision.

One piece of mail today didn't send me into a decision spiral.  I got a condolence card from one of the senior editors at my old place.  Her sentiment was great (though much what I've been getting on Facebook).  The recommendation she offered was, however, something I might take her up on.

At least once I decide to look for a new job.  After I decide which city I want to live in.  So, maybe in a week.  I'm going to put that off for a bit more.

2 comments:

  1. I wondered about that when I saw you mention COBRA. It's usually crazy expensive. If your Rx's are both generic, it's probably cheaper not having insurance at all. Of course, another matter is the peace of mind of being covered in an emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being my first comment, joshie!

    I was thinking of going the route of not having insurance at all. However, I feel like I could be part of the problem in the health care debate (not to be political) without it. Plus, I'm 35 so one never knows.

    Both prescriptions are generic. I'll see the pricing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete