Sunday, September 18, 2011

How I Spent The Thirty-Sixth Week Of The Rest Of My Life

While I put this blog entry off until almost the end of the week again, there was one that I didn't.  I wrote my first blog entry at Michael Goldman 2.0 on why a business should claim their address on Facebook and Twitter (http://greenmind0428.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/claiming-your-piece-of-the-internet-facebook-and-twitter/).  I have no idea if it's any good but one of my few followers at @MGoldman2_0 on Twitter retweeted it so I don't think it's awful.

At least I hope it's not since, as it's germane to the positions that I'm applying for, I'm going to be using it as a writing sample.  And, honestly, it feels good to have an actual example of what I can do on the internet for searches instead of just trying to explain it with a Klout score in my cover letter.

Of course, all of this would be more convincing if I had clients.  But I have my Michael Goldman 2.0 website up at http://michaelgoldman20.com/.  So now I can make business cards and such.  In fact, I just found out yesterday that it only costs $50 to incorporate in Virginia so I can charge a consultancy fee.  I'm probably going to do that next week.

I have other things to do early next week though.  I'm signed up for a job fair tomorrow in Arlington.  At first I put a lot of mental eggs in this basket.  But a lot of the companies there are the kind that are recruiting the desperate into service-based industries.  Which, of course, I am.  But I'm not about to go join the Prince William County Police yet.  Or ever.  Still I'll be throwing my resume around.  And I bought a new laptop briefcase to replace my backpack on days like job fairs and temp place interviews.

Even though I have no idea if I'm getting closer to getting a job, at least I'm now completely looking the part.

And I'm scheduled for a few webinars in the upcoming few weeks on both social media and WordPress.  If nothing else, my mind will have all the necessary content.  And nowhere to put it yet.  Except in a blog.

Here's how I "spent" last week:

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6 ($19.00)

  • 10:01 a.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  Since I planned on being a tourist in Chinatown all day, I figured I'd start out at the gym.
  • 11:11 a.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  I should have known when it took flash forever to load that taking the assessments on my netbook would be a mistake.
  • 1:30 p.m. CapMac Truck - $12.00.  As long as I was going to do touristy things all day, I figured that lunch should be a food truck.  And my goodness this one was good.
  • 2:31 p.m. National Portrait Gallery - Free.  Showing around someone newer than me, I had to go to my favorite museum first.
  • 3:22 p.m. Smithsonian American Art Museum - Free.  This was actually a way better modern art gallery, in my opinion, than the Hirshhorn.
  • 7:24 p.m. Manassas Mart - $3.00.  I had passed this little convenience store by the VRE a bunch of times.  I wish I hadn't sooner since they carry vegan soup!  And it was awesome.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 7 (Free)

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 8 ($288.73)

  • 11:44 a.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  For some reason, I was feeling exhausted until I smelled the gym towel.  It perked me right up.
  • 12:42 p.m. Chipotle Mexican Grill - $7.00.  As usual when I go here after the gym, I devoured my burrito bowl in professional eater times.  But unlike usual, the line was out the door.
  • 1:14 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  Even though I wasn't required to yet, I knew I should apply for jobs on three separate days and since I missed on Tuesday and Wednesday, I applied to a few.
  • 4:00 p.m. PCRetro - $267.70.  I was just going to price a computer but I ended up walking out with one since I got a lot of discounts and a free video camera.
  • 6:26 p.m. Subway - $6.03.  After taking care of business after a rain storm had started, I decided it was time to go home.  But I too early to get the bus so I stopped to get a sandwich.
  • 6:46 p.m. Philadelphia Tavern - $4.00.  The coffee shop closes early on Thursday since the open mic night has been transfered to Sunday.  A beer here for happy hour was equally inexpensive.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 9 ($37.80)

  • 12:54 p.m. Taco Bell - $4.86.  Somehow I hadn't gone to Taco Bell in over two weeks.  I think I might have been going through withdrawal.
  • 1:53 p.m. Manassas 4 - $7.00.  Since I had sent them an e-mail saying that I would handle their Twitter account for free, I figured I'd stop by.  I saw Contagion even though I was worried I wouldn't be able to sleep after.  It wasn't very good.
  • 4:16 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  I needed to apply for jobs on the third day of the week so I stopped by one of my semi-regular locations of Starbucks to do so.
  • 5:11 p.m. Giant - $21.94.  Since I didn't purchase groceries in the city, I needed to get stuff for the weekend. I like my city Safeway better, but this Giant served its purpose.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 10 ($41.00)

  • 10:15 p.m..Queen's Gambit Restaurant - $20.00.  For the first time since I arrived in Washington D.C., I had a second date with a girl.  And a first date in Woodbridge.
  • 11:05 p.m. Ruby Tuesdays - $21.00.  Since I hadn't eaten all day and neither of us was going to do karaoke, we moved next door to Ruby Tuesdays.  It wasn't horrible but I told my roommate that I wouldn't ever eat there.  Fail.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 11 ($7.38)

  • 11:48 a.m. 7-Eleven - $7.38.  After meeting some cats, I really needed some allergy medicine in the morning.
  • 7:50 p.m. County Center Owner's Association - Free.  Though I slept through the day after drinking for most of the night, I decided I should at least try to be a little healthy by going to the gym.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 12 ($55.02)

  • 11:53 a.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  I got a late start to the day, but I wanted to get healthy at the gym for the second day in a row.
  • 1:25 p.m. Roti Mediterranean Restaurant - $8.52.  Seeing that a food truck that I had wanted to try in L'Enfant Plaza, I made my way down there.  But by the time I got there, it was sold out.  So Roti served as an excellent substitute.  I even got a free order of falafel for my third check-in at this location.
  • 2:58 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00. Waiting for my date at a Starbucks in Alexandria that I had never tried before I realized I should hang out at the suburban Starbucks more often.  They have nice numbers of outlets.
  • 4:02 p.m. AMC Hoffman Center 22 - $22.50.  Finally seeing Rise of the Planet of The Apes was great.  It was far better than it deserved to be.
  • 6:49 p.m. Aditi Indian Restaurant - $20.00.  Trying my date's favorite restaurant in Alexandria was worth it.  It was really good.

So that's $448.93.  My most expensive week in a really long time, but all well worth it since the computer (the main expense) will help me reach my long term goals far more easily (if at all).  And I had a lot of fun with all of the other activities.  My total money spent since I've been unemployed is $7461.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment