Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How I Spent The Thirty-Eighth Week Of The Rest Of My Life

Even though I don't have much new to say since this weekend, I'm going to get this entry out of the way.  I've been itching to write another entry on multiple Twitter personalities on my @MGoldman2_0 blog for a few days, but I just had to get this one out of the way first.  That, and I'm now four pages behind on applying for jobs on idealist.org.

I feel as though I slowed up in September just as I should be pushing harder.  But I feel good about this final push into October.  I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with my strategy and theory at least.  My Michael Goldman 2.0 Twitter account now has 50 followes (all gained "white hat" for the record).  I'm just wondering what a critical mass will be before the 91% of employers who check social media believe in my skills.

Though, if they don't decide to soon, there was one major development this week...

Michael Goldman 2.0 is now a licensed LLC in the Commonwealth of Virginia!

Yes, on Saturday night, September 24, 2011, I paid $100.00 so I can now charge money for consulting services.  Of course, I don't have any clients.  And I don't plan on charging since I'm just doing this to gain experience.  I'm just hoping the three little (though very meaningful) letters put potential clients at ease.  Of course, I'm still not sure if I should put it on my resume.  I'm guessing that it would scare potential employers away more than attract them.

Still, pretty exciting.

Here's how I "spent" last week:

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 20 ($5.25)

  • 3:46 p.m. Subway - $5.25.  I had planned on going into the city, but I couldn't even get past Springfield.  Luckily, I had a place to crash in Springfield.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21 ($31.10)

  • 7:33 a.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  The one bad part about staying in Springfield is vacating the premises at 6:00 a.m.  But I was able to sleep in a bit by taking a shower at the gym after my workout.
  • 8:51 a.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  It's too bad that I don't drink coffee because I could sure have sure used the caffeine.  Even though my day was just starting, I was already exhausted.
  • 1:22 p.m. Chipotle Mexican Grill - $7.00.  I needed carbs badly after spending that long in Starbucks.  Once I had some food, my shaking decreased
  • 2:15 p.m. Kogod Courtyard - Free.  The Portrait Gallery's courtyard was a pretty amazing place to sit and not apply for jobs.  I was too tired to write a cover letter.
  • 3:50 p.m. Fado Irish Pub - $7.50.  I wanted to watch the Fulham v. Chelsea Carling Cup match, but it wasn't televised.  At least the lack of a match I wanted to watch kept me relatively sober.
  • 5:08 p.m. FedEx Kinkos - $1.05.  As usual, I forgot to print up the ticket for the event at I was going to.  Turns out I got out at the wrong Metro stop to get here quickly.
  • 5:56 p.m. Washington Hilton - $6.11.  I thought it was so cool that the social media networking event I went to was in a historic place like this.  I thought it was even cooler that I was not the only unemployed person there.
  • 10:39 p.m. McDonald's - $5.44.  There was no way that I could make it all the way home since I didn't eat dinner.  But, amazingly, even on the verge of low blood sugar, the Filet O' Fish and french fries here were terrible.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 22 (Free)

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 23 ($20.00)

  • 12:08 p.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  Even though I got to the city late, I needed a trip to the gym to recover from Wednesday's incredibly long day.
  • 12:51 p.m. Chipotle Mexican Grill - $7.00.  It's becoming a habit to wait in this huge line for a burrito bowl.  I need to find a new restaurant.
  • 1:12 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  After wasting a couple of days this week, I had to do an epic day of job applications.  And I did.  It helped that my weekend plans were cancelled though.
  • 5:06 p.m. Roti - $9.00.  I felt pretty blah and run down despite all that I had done.  But before catching the train home, I knew a place that would cheer me up for sure.  It worked.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 (Free)

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 ($8.51)

  • 8:03 p.m. Walgreens - $3.66.  This wasn't a crucial trip to Walgreens, but they donated a flu shot with every Foursquare check-in, so I went and bought new shaving cream a couple of days early.
  • 8:23 p.m. 7-Eleven - $4.85. I spent my day watching football for fantasy purposes.  Since I won one of my matchups, I rewarded myself with a Slurpee.  And some delicious microwave burritos.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 26 ($56.93)

  • 10:56 a.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  Since I was trying to finish a book that I was reading, I left my phone in my locker.  I accidentally left my deodorant at home as well.  It was a short session.
  • 12:43 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  I decided just to spend the day in Alexandria.  As usual, the Eisenhower Avenue Starbucks had a lot of outlets and was conducive to applying for jobs.
  • 4:43 p.m. Fairlington Pizza - $15.43.  We checked out a pizza hole in the wall near my friend's new place.  She didn't like, but I loved it.
  • 5:32 p.m. Ramparts Tavern & Grill - $15.00.  Knowing we were going to see a sad movie, we went drinking at another place near my friend's place.
  • 6:25 p.m. AMC Hoffman Center 22 - $22.50.  Love that the girl I'm seeing thinks movies like The Debt are date movies.  I'm going to have to drag her to a romcom though with all of these serious movies.

So that's $121.79.  The fact that I'm stuck at home again tomorrow due to another webinar should keep this week's costs relatively low.  Though that's turning out not to be the problem.  With all the time I have, it's using it correctly.  My total money spent since I've been unemployed is $7758.60.                              

No comments:

Post a Comment