Saturday, September 24, 2011

How I Spent The Thirty-Seventh Week Of The Rest Of My Life

In the last week, I have attended so many seminars and webinars on best practices in social media, that I feel as though my brain might actually explode.  Combining that with reading a book on game-based marketing and I think I might be drowning in terminology.  Unfortunately, this still does not have me drowning in job offers.

On the plus side, I have 34 followers and a Klout score of 35 on my @MGoldman2_0 account now from the networking that I did.  In less than two weeks.  Of course they're all other marketing types and spammer and not any clients yet.  But that's the kind of results that these employers who are ignoring me *should* find sort of impressive.  At least that's what I keep telling myself.

It helps me sleep at night.

During the week, when I wasn't attending seminars, I read a great article on customizing your resume to match up with the exact terminology in the job posting (http://govcentral.monster.com/benefits/articles/27874-creative-ways-to-improve-your-resume?utm_source=nlet&utm_content=gc_c1_20110922_creativeresume2).  So I've been doing that in the applications that I sent out last week.  Other than that, it was a pretty typical week.  I feel like I'm improving in all facets of my job search, but still having no luck.

At least I have a seminar on cover letters next week.  Maybe that will help more than these marketing ones.

Here's how I "spent" last week:

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13 ($20.79)

  • 7:19 p.m. Amici's Restaurant - $9.00.  For the first time, I actually went to Amici's on the night where their buffet was $6.99.  It was better when it was cheaper.
  • 8:07 p.m. Walgreen's - $11.79.  Whatever allergy medicine that I got at 7-Eleven did not work as good as Benadryl.  I was also out of other stuff so I went on a general restocking run.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14 ($59.16)

  • 10:43 a.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  I planned on spending the entire day in Chinatown so a workout to begin the day seemed perfect.
  • 12:01 p.m. Chinatown Express - $8.00.  In my prior visit, I hadn't tried their famous dumplings.  So I made a point of it this time.  And they were as good as people had hyped them to be.  But the various toppings were even better.
  • 12:31 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  There were a lot more people in business suits in Chinatown than usual.  Going into Starbucks was almost a refuge.
  • 2:50 p.m. Fado Irish Pub - $23.00.  The reason that I was in Chinatown was to watch the Manchester City Champion's League match.  And they had it on televison and I both ate dinner and watched it.
  • 5:10 p.m. Safeway - $24.16.  Even though it wasn't in Chinatown, this was the best day to go shopping.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15 (Free)

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16 ($57.24)

  • 11:06 a.m. PCRetro - Free.  Since I received my unemployment check, I had money to upgrade my computer.  Or at least to exchange my batter since it wasn't registering with my power sensor.  I ended up keeping the current computer.
  • 12:24 p.m. Big Cheese Truck - $6.75.  Situated at Metro Center on Friday, it was on the way to Chinatown so I stopped and got some brilliant grilled cheese.
  • 1:06 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  I had to be on the Green Line so I went to my usual Starbucks to apply for jobs until it cam time to look at grad schools.
  • 3:39 p.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  Starting to feel tired and not knowing when I'd be able to get to the gym next, I decided to fit in a short workout to get the blood pumping.
  • 4:55 p.m. Target - $26.49.  Not wanting to continue looking unprofessional with my beat up backpack, I decided to buy a laptop bag to match my new laptop.  A lot of them had been picked through and were lacking straps. But I found a nice and complete one.
  • 5:43 p.m. Washington Convention Center - Free.  The night before I had applied for a job at American University and they had tuition reimbursement.  So I looked into their program.  At this job fair, I learned that American's Political Communications master's degree is probably what I'll do.
  • 8:05 p.m. Guapo's Restaurant - $20.00.  I met my date at the Springfield stop and we proceeded to go to her  favorite Mexican restaurant in Arlington.  They have strong margaritas and good food.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 17 ($19.00)

  • 1:49 p.m. 2011 H Street Festival - $19.00.  This was my first D.C. festival.  It was in a hipster neighborhood so it felt like being back in Chicago.  Except the food trucks were better.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 18 (Free)

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 19 ($18.63)

  • 9:27 a.m. Subway - $4.68.  I timed my trip to Arlington for a job fair absolutely wrong.  I ended up being stranded in Old Town Manassas for over an hour.  I'd never had Subway for breakfast.  But this Subway didn't really serve breakfast anyway and I ended up with two bagels.
  • 11:50 a.m. P.O. Boxes, Etc. - $6.95.  In my busy Friday, I hadn't printed my resume so I had to on the way to the job fair.  This place was terrible. Their printer and copiers were so old the paper had perforated edges.  When there was toner on the copies, I just about lost it.  But the clerk still charged me for the printing.
  • 12:12 p.m. Holiday Inn Rosslyn Key Bridge - Free.  Job fairs can't all be as bad as this one or they wouldn't exist.  There was no one there worth even bothering with.  I would have been better off just applying for jobs with that time.
  • 1:17 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  Feeling crappy about what happened, I figured I'd apply for a job or two and then see a movie off the Eisenhower Street stop.
  • 5:01 p.m. Simply Sweet On Main - $3.00.  The iced tea lemonade and applying for jobs didn't help at all.  So I got ice cream.  This, on the other hand, definitely made me feel better.  The owner was in the store.  I should have hit him up about social media since I was in a suit for no reason.

So that's $174.82.  Which is quite a lot considering that I didn't really start doing any training until last week.  I have to stop going to the bar until I find some source of income besides unemployment.  Especially since I haven't gotten around to actually incorporating Michael Goldman 2.0 yet officially.  That's something for next week I guess.  My total money spent since I've been unemployed $7636.81.              
                                  
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment