Sunday, December 18, 2011

How I Spent The Forty-Ninth Week Of The Rest Of My Life

Since I didn't hear from the place that I interviewed at last week, I'm assuming that's not going to happen.  I'm going to e-mail them on Monday and see what's happening.  I hold out hope that the marketing department was just really busy after their national meeting two weeks ago, but we'll soon see.

Not that I was sitting around waiting by the phone for them to call.  I finally got around to applying for a lot of jobs. To finally be (almost) less than two weeks behind in my applications, until today, feels pretty good.  I have started a system of highlighting every job that I want really badly so I can apply for them right away.  And I've discovered that a lot of good jobs are right here in Rockville.  I've been neglecting looking in Maryland for a bit too long (not that I've ever truly stopped).  Which was probably a horrible idea since it was one of the first jobs that I applied for in Maryland that has gotten me the furthest in the interview process.

Anyhow, if this place doesn't call back with good news, I will have gone the entirety of 2011 without a job (except for the one day at my old place to start the year).  The full 52 weeks.  I never even imagined that was possible when I started this blog at the start of the year.  It really is eye opening how hard it is to find a job in this economy.  Though part of me still thinks that I'm doing it all wrong and that it's my fault that no one has noticed how amazing I actually am.  And how experienced.  And how good I am at social media.  I still feel like it's my resume and cover letter that are not conveying my experience.  I feel like I haven't been following up enough.  And it feels like I'm one of the last people who are unemployed out there.

And that just reminds me that I'm running low on happy pills again and starting to live "paycheck to paycheck" with my money.  It's a vicious spiral of bleh.  Or it's just winter.  Either way, I've still got to redouble my efforts yet again and try harder.  And it's not like I'm not willing to do pretty much anything for the right place. It's not like I have a right price since I'm living on less than I'll make pretty much anywhere.

The worst part is that I feel like I've gotten less accomplished since I moved to Rockville than I had before I did.  But at least I'm spending less.

Here's how I "spent" last week:

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6 ($10.68)

  • 12:10 p.m. Starbucks - $3.00.  Finally giving up on going to the city to listen to my weekly webinar, I just went to the local Starbucks.
  • 6:11 p.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  I made it into the city in the evening after a long day of not doing much of anything.  I hadn't started out the week feeling well and hoped this got me kick started.
  • 7:43 p.m. Pizza Authentica - $7.68.  After a lot of decision, I decided to go to the Occupy Wall Street national GA downtown since I was already in the city.  Since I'm not really part of the whole camping setup, however, I decided to eat my own food on my own dime.
  • 7:59 p.m. Occupy D.C. - Free.  I walked around and took a few pictures.  I'm sure that the group in McPherson Square marched over, but I decided just to take the train.
  • 9:51 p.m. The National Mall - Free.  Since I could never get downtown when I lived in Woodbridge, this was my first big protest in the nation's biggest protest area.  The National Occupy Wall Street GA was pretty cool.  Though I only stayed through the introductory speeches.  I was exhausted.

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 7 (Free)

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 8 ($7.00)

  • 11:41 a.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  After feeling crappy all day on Wednesday again, I figured that I needed to get to the gym.  It was sad that this was the earliest start I got to the day thusfar in the week.
  • 1:00 p.m. Tynan Coffee & Tea - $7.00.  Since I was already in the area, I decided to actually drink my tea locally.  They have crappy internet here, but it's a really friendly local chain.
  • 3:31 p.m. T-Mobile - Free.  After putting up with no internet the night before and crappy internet at the coffee shop, I decided to get my own internet again.  It's about $20 extra per month, but worth the lesser aggrevation.

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 9 ($8.43)

  • 1:29 p.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  It was yet another day of not getting out of bed and needing to get a jump start to get anything done.  For once, the gym actually provided it.
  • 3:12 p.m. Lebanese Taverna Cafe - $8.43.  There is a really expensive Indian place by my gym.  I was so hungry (even though I ate breakfast) and tempted to go in that the only thing that prevented me was a promise to myself to get Lebanese on the way home.

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 10 (Free)

  • 1:26 Rollins Congressional Club - Free.  My brother convinced me to leave the apartment to get free food at the complex's holiday party.  The food was good and the gym I get for "free" is nice.  But I pay for the gym in the city either way.

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 11 ($27.31)

  • 1:20 p.m. Occupy D.C. - Free.  While I agree completely with the good government part of the fight of this movement, I understand the objection people have to it about its cleanliness.  Rather than just gripe, however, I grabbed a garbage bag and helped them clean.
  • 4:30 p.m. Cosi - $3.00.  Part of the reason that I was in the park was to take part in a media training.  I ended up accompanying the newspaper group to Cosi for some more good discussion.
  • 6:35 p.m. Public Bar - $17.00.  I had planned on going to the gym after my activities in McPherson Square.  Then watching the Bears game at the Public Bar in Tenleytown.  But I ended up downtown so late, I ended up watching it at their downtown location.
  • 8:30 p.m. 7-Eleven - $7.31.  Running out of soap again (and toilet paper) was pretty much a pain.  But this time I bought a lot of both.

So that's $53.42.  It's funny that the more time I spend at McPherson Square, the less that I spend.  If I camped there, which might make me a huge hypocrite and showered at the gym using my wi-fi to apply for jobs, I could really get away cheaply.  Except I hate camping in the winter.  And I'm still not fond of the lifestyle of some of the people there.  Though I realized that if I had gotten involved in the media group sooner, I might have some applicable experience to put on a resume.  But I don't know if that would help or hurt.  My total money spent since I've been unemployed is $10322.19.

No comments:

Post a Comment