Sunday, December 11, 2011

How I Spent The Forty-Eighth Week Of The Rest Of My Life

How did it get to be Sunday again already?  And, more importantly, how do I feel like I got nothing done this entire week?  The entire week has been spent trying to tent in for the winter it seems.  I got tired of being without the internet all day, so I went to T-Mobile and got tethering activated on my phone (which should have, in theory, allowed me to apply for a lot more than the minimal five jobs this week).

What did I do with this time?  I slept a lot.  And I stressed out about finding out next week if I get the job that I'm come the closest to this entire year.  And I was doing other things that I really shouldn't talk about.

But it was, ironically, things that were getting me experience in my field but that I probably can't put on a resume.  But if I don't get a job soon, it's something that I might take on doing relatively full-time.  Boy I'm hoping that I get this job.

Here's how I "spent" last week:

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 29 ($29.63)

  • 12:15 p.m. Starbucks - $3.00.  The Starbucks on Rockville Pike has just gotten too annoyingly loud for me.  But since I didn't want to go into the city just to watch a webinar, I put up with it.  My headphones saved me.
  • 4:19 p.m. Qdoba Mexican Grill - $6.63.  I had planned on printing out a copy of my resume at a nearby FedEx Office so I decided to give into urge of the Qdoba near my apartment.
  • 7:08 p.m. Comcast Center - $20.00.  For my brother's birthday, we went to see a college basketball game in College Park.  He was rooting for Illinois.  I was rooting for my new state.

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 30 ($16.62)

  • 8:25 a.m. CVS Pharmacy - $5.08.  As I had an interview and I was completely out of razors, I couldn't put off going to a pharmacy until my local one opened.
  • 9:45 a.m. Liberty Gas - $10.00.  My brother let me borrow his car to drive to my interview.  But he didn't tell me that he was out of gas.
  • 11:03 a.m. FedEx Kinko's - $1.54.  Printing up my resume and references turned out to be a huge waste of time since the interview that followed was for a purely sales position.  But it was good to print it out for a purpose.

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 1 ($26.63)

  • 10:54 a.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  My interview the day before had been conducted half awake.  I wanted to do better in my interview this day.  So I went to the gym to get my blood pumping.
  • 12:20 p.m. Penang Star - $6.49.  Staying close to home as my interview approached seemed important.  So I just grabbed some Malaysian fusion.  It's not great but I do appreciate how close it is.
  • 3:09 p.m. FedEx Office - $3.26.  The interviewer the day before, despite the worthlessness of the interview, took my references.  And I had to print up my unique resume. Thankfully Silver Spring has a FedEx right downtown.
  • 8:08 p.m. Afghan Kebob House - $16.88.  While it wasn't the greatest Afghani that I had ever had, I enjoyed having one of my favorite cuisines again with an expiring Groupon.

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 2 ($58.21)

  • 2:30 p.m. China Garden - $9.00.  They have both Chinese and Japanese.  I hadn't had sushi in a while so I got the more expensive choice.
  • 7:21 p.m. Balducci's Food Lover's Market - $49.21.  While I was still trying to shop local, I went to the specialty market in Bethesda.  Looking at the prices, I longed for Safeway.

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 3 ($157.44)

  • 11:27 a.m. U-Haul Moving & Storage - $116.80.  While it turned out to be cheaper to pick up a television and a futon from Woodbridge, I still probably could have waited.  Barely.
  • 1:27 p.m. Taco Bell - $5.64.  I'm not planning on going to Woodbridge again any time soon so I figured I might as well go to my Taco Bell jam.
  • 3:20 p.m. Executive Sunoco - $25.00.  I actually pumped gas three times at this station to try and get it to where it needed to be and it still didn't quite get there.
  • 3:27 p.m. Liberty - $10.00.  At this point, I probably should have just gotten charged for U-Haul filling it up, but I tried one more time to get the gauge up to where it needed to be.  Gassing a truck is so expensive!
  • 3:31 p.m. U-Haul Moving & Storage - Free.  I didn't get charged any more when I returned the truck.  That was a small miracle.

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 4 ($31.00)

  • 2:30 p.m. Verizon Center - $31.00.  This doubleheader of college basketball was better than Maryland's loss earlier in the week.  Maryland beat Notre Dame.  Pretty rocking.

MONDAY, DECEMBER 5 ($4.00)

  • 6:45 p.m. IHOP - $4.00.  My brother had a coupon for IHOP for his birthday.  Discovering that they still had pumpkin pancakes was probably a bad thing.

So that's $323.53.  But that is the last of my moving expenses.  Period.  I can't afford to do anything else until I have a job.  If I have to lock myself inside for the rest of the winter, however, at least I have a television to keep me company and a mattress to sleep on.  Of course I might not have anything else.  Goodness I hope I got that job.  My total money spent since I've been unemployed is $10268.77.

No comments:

Post a Comment