Saturday, November 26, 2011

How I Spent The Forty-Sixth Week Of The Rest Of My Life

At this time last week, I had no idea that I was going to be in Michigan this weekend.  My brother wasn't sure if he could get Friday off, so I had no way that wasn't prohibitively expensive to get here. And still it was only when my parents were able to pay for the expenses that I was able to afford to come here.

This year was almost a "Buy Nothing Day" for me on Black Friday.  I didn't need to buy anything, really, but Target has $10.00 pajamas just like last year and I can always use more of those.  The only thing that prevented me from buying more was that when I drove to the mall to take advantage of J.C. Penney's sale on pants, I couldn't find a parking spot.

But today on Small Business Saturday, I didn't buy anything at small businesses.  My parents bought me pants and a sweater at a large business.  We're having our Thanksgiving dinner (because my mother had to work) tonight so maybe I'll go to an independent coffee shop after dinner.  But I've failed both "holidays" that I would have come home for besides the family.

It's probably better because had I been home, I probably would have gone to one of the many mini-malls in Rockville and bought a lot of crap that I didn't need.  As it is, on the way home tomorrow, I'm probably buying a TV stand at IKEA.  Even though I don't have a TV right now.  That's going to have to wait for next weekend when I have money to make a trip to Woodbridge to pick them up.

Other than that, there's no news on the job front or living front really.  I did apply at an organization that a friend is affiliated with so hopefully there's an in there.  I don't think employers are thinking about hiring much more than I'm thinking about being hired during Thanksgiving week.  Even though I put in a bunch of applications.

Here's how I "spent" last week:

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15 ($16.00)

  • 6:58 a.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  Before the second day of the conference, I got a ride into the city with my roommate since I was up and ready at that time anyway.  It let me get to the gym at an insanely early time.
  • 9:07 a.m. Kellogg Conference Center - Free.  The second day of the conference, I was so tired that I didn't get that much out of it.  Though I do have the notes to look through when I'm awake.
  • 6:37 p.m. Katerina's Greek Cuisine - $16.00.  For my last meal in Prince William County, I decided to go to one of the places that I enjoyed the most in the area.  And one of the few place I'd visit again.

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 16 ($173.91)

  • 1:18 p.m. IKEA - $4.18.  Since the next time I would be at an IKEA, I would be closer to the College Park location, I decided to eat there one more time.  That and I got a late start.
  • 4:41 p.m. Budget Rental Car - $155.22.  There was no way that I could have possibly gotten through moving without a rented car.  And since I was moving, I definitely needed to get insurance.
  • 6:44 p.m. Burson-Marsteller - $6.11.  I was exhausted after travelling from Woodbridge to Rockville but I still managed to make it to the Social Media Club of D.C. event.  Having a drink there just knocked me out of it.
  • 8:44 p.m. Taco Bell - $6.31. Since I had a rental car and a drink, I needed to go to Taco Bell for my last meal as a Woodbridge resident.
  • 9:19 p.m. Walgreens - $2.09.  Trying to go to the gym on moving day was pointless.  So I needed to buy soap.  I figured that I needed soap for the new apartment anyway. 

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17 ($42.41)

  • 10:51 a.m. Extra Space Storage - Free.  It felt weird to be taking stuff out of storage instead of putting it in.  And getting almost all of my boxes out in one trip was even weirder.
  • 12:18 p.m. Noodles & Company - $7.00.  Since my brother was at the dentist, I decided to get lunch.  There was no fast food restaurant I wanted to go to more as my first as a Rockville resident.
  • 8:33 p.m. Extra Space Storage - Free. Going back to make sure that I didn't have to pay any more fees for storage was well worth it.  We managed to completely clear it out.
  • 8:58 p.m. Target - $28.42.  I had absolutely no bedding.  Rather than sleeping on the floor, I bought a pillow and a mattress cover.
  • 9:17 p.m. Taco Bell - $6.99.  Rather than try to figure out where to stop on the drive home, I ate one more time in Woodbridge.

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 18 ($187.70)

  • 10:23 a.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  I had a phone interview.  Right before it, the Starbucks got really noisy so I ended up out in my rental car right when my potential employer called.
  • 12:36 p.m. IKEA - $141.72.  We had most stuff from my brother but we did need lamps since the apartment was pretty dark.
  • 3:38 p.m. Liberty Gas - $32.50.  Again, had I not gotten lost, I probably could have spent a little bit less on gas.  As it was, I had to pump twice to get it completely filled.
  • 4:19 p.m. Budget Rental Car - Free.  Even though they billed me twice, I technically didn't owe any more.
  • 7:49 p.m. Lebanese Taverna Cafe - $9.49.  This was a restaurant that I had never tried.  I was actually surprised how expensive it was.  But it was worth it because they had kushari.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 19 ($7.00)

  • 12:33 p.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  To save money, I switched my gym membership to the Friendship Heights location.  Taking the train into the city on the weekend felt like freedom.
  • 1:58 p.m. City Cafe And Caterers - $3.00.  Not knowing where to eat in Bethesda, I took out my phone and checked Foursquare.  It told me there was a Groupon special here.  It might have been the nerdiest meal that I ever had.
  • 2:25 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  I returned to the Bethesda Starbucks that I went to after finding the apartment. It seemed further without a car.  I don't think it's going to be my go to Starbucks now.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 20 ($43.00)

  • 2:32 p.m. National Museum Of Crime And Punishment - $10.00.  Using my Groupon Now the day before, I saw that this one was about to expire.  Being as there was a Redskins game, there were not a lot of locals here.  But it was still pretty busy.
  • 5:20 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  Since it wasn't quite time to go and watch soccer yet, I went to my old Starbucks near the Archives.  It was surprisingly crowded and they still hadn't fixed the power outlets.  I remembered why I switched to the Chinatown location.
  • 7:09 p.m. Ireland's Four Courts - $29.00.  Having been friends with this bar on Twitter for a long time, I decided to finally pay them a visit.  They are pretty cool.  It reminded me a little of Small Bar Fullerton.

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 21 ($26.33)

  • 12:21 p.m. Maria's Bakery And Cafe - $9.00.  For such an English sounding name, they served really authentic Hong Kong cuisine.  But it was a bit too pricey to be my "cheap" after-gym Chinese place.
  • 1:04 p.m. Capital One Bank - Free.  While I went in to open a checking account, I ended up just cashing in a bunch of coins that I had around the house.
  • 1:52 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  I really needed to write a blog entry since with the move I hadn't had a chance to in about a week.  I actually accomplished publishing one!
  • 7:27 p.m. Cici's Pizza - $6.35.  In all of the times that I had been back to Michigan, I meant to try this buffet pizza chain.  Now that there's one nearby and I tried it, I'm not really that interested in going again.
  • 8:21 p.m. Target - $6.98.  Looking at the boxes left unpacked in my room, I knew I needed more storage.  So I bought a stand to put my stereo on and some of my books under.  I still don't think I have enough storage.

So that's $496.35.  I knew moving was going to be expensive, but that seems a little bit excessive.  No wonder my bank account is lower than it's been than at any other time that I've been unemployed.  It's weird that I was never more than 50 miles from Rockville the entire week and spent more than it cost to be in Michigan for Thanksgiving.  Hopefully the next time I spend that much in a week, I'll have a job.  My total money spent since I've been unemployed is $9833.85.

No comments:

Post a Comment