Thursday, April 14, 2011

How I Spent The Fourteenth Week Of The Rest Of My Life

While I haven't done as much as I feel that I should to get ready to leave over the last week, the boxes are nearly full.  Only random clothing lines my floor that reminds me that I still need to go to the laundromat a few more times.  And only the fact that the boxes that are filled (eight of them) feel heavier reminds me that I haven't gone to the gym as much as I should have.

I just keep saying to myself that I still have the weekend to get stuff done.  But even then, my Saturday is pretty full.  Sunday I have vowed to lock myself in my apartment except to use a Groupon and to go to the laundromat.  All that is really left is sorting through pictures and CDs and trying to make them fit in smaller boxes by leaving behind the ones I never listen to.  But much like my books, so many of them have sentimental value that this might take some time.

And I have my going away party planned for tomorrow night.  And I still have to sell back some books over both days!

Just thinking about this weekend, I feel like I *shouldn't* go to Buffalo Tom tonight.  Especially since they're playing in Boston on the day that I get there for good (April 30th) for the same price as Chicago.  I just worry that if I don't see them today, something will come up and I won't get to the Black Cat (how awesome is it that the Black Cat and the 9:30 Club are going to be my new Metros?) in time for their show and miss them both places.

Anyhow, I figure I'll play it this way.  If I'm able to get this entry done quickly, I'll go.  If I'm not, I'll consider it as sign that I wasn't supposed to go tonight and I'll just go in D.C.

So I might as well start.

Here's how I "spent" last week:

TUESDAY, APRIL 5 ($93.98)

  • 11:38 a.m. McCormick Tribune YMCA - Free.  Since I was in the gym "zone" (my goodness, I'm starting to talk like someone who's into fitness) before my trip to the Wisconsin Dells, I didn't want to lose this before leaving.  Plus I knew that I'd be really busy when I got back and might not have time for as many times.
  • 1:41 p.m. Taco Bell (Oglivie Food Court) - $5.40.  I couldn't go as close to this Taco Bell as I was and not purchase something.  Even though I knew it might make for a long train ride.
  • 2:17 p.m. Chicago Union Station - $35.00.  The price on the ticket absolutely amazed me.  Compared to my other transportation possibilities, it seemed like an absolute steal.  Other people thought the same and there was a huge line.  The train ended up leaving quite late.
  • 6:20 p.m. Wisconsin Dells Amtrak Station - Free.  Much like I pictured it, there was quite a bit of the Dells that was easy to walk to when I first got off the train.  This did not stop cab drivers from waiting at the station right when the train pulled in.  Their minimum charge is $10.  I decided just to walk across the bridge to my hotel.
  • 6:49 p.m. Days Inn - $44.86.  Being the off-season, the hotel room was pretty darn cheap.  And I think the whirlpool alone on this first night was worth the price.  The clerk looked shocked that I didn't drive and inquired about the train to Chicago and said he might take it himself the other direction.
  • 8:51 p.m. Culvers - $8.72. Even though I had passed them in the suburbs a lot of times, I had never stopped at a Culvers in Illinois.  Wisconsin, however, is where they're from and there was one a couple of blocks from the hotel.  I got the fish and, honestly, I wasn't impressed.  But at least I can say I've been there now.

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 6 ($114.16)

  • 10:09 a.m. Out Of The Woods - Free.  Everything seems to open late during the off-season in the Dells except for the trinket stores.  This figurine shop was about the nicest thing that I saw open so I stopped in.  They had some beautiful stuff that I knew some people would enjoy, but I didn't want to buy it yet.
  • 10:27 a.m. Wisconsin Dells Visitors & Convention Bureau - Free.  I thought I had studied a lot before leaving for the Dells, but a visit here proved me wrong.  There were brochures of places I hadn't even heard of.  I grabbed a bunch.
  • 11:06 a.m. Dells RiverWalk - Free.  For the second time in 24 hours, I got looked at like I was from another planet when I told the ticket seller for the Dells Boats that I walked.  She gave me this weird way to get to the boat by foot.  But since it was right there, I took the RiverWalk which led me right to the boat.  The views of the Wisconsin River were impressive - and free.
  • 12:25 p.m. The Sandwich Shop - $6.30.  It was starting to get hot, so I dropped my jacket off back at the hotel.  This didn't leave me much time to eat before boarding the boat.  This little shop on Broadway was great and had a great and quick cheese sandwich.  Not surprising for Wisconsin.
  • 1:07 p.m. Dells Boat Tours - $18.00.  The lower boat tour wasn't open for the year yet, so this was actually half a combination with the ducks.  I enjoyed this part much more as it was slow and scenic.  And the rock formations made me glad that I had gone.
  • 2:56 p.m. Original Wisconsin Ducks - $18.00.  Don't know why people love these so much.  I needed a Jesus handle the entire time I was riding it.  Half the time I couldn't hear the driver's bad jokes over the roar of the engine.  Oh well, now I've done the stereotypical tour of the Lower Dells.  I think one friend of mine wouldn't have talked to me if I hadn't.
  • 7:05 p.m. High Rock Cafe - $21.00.  This was the absolute best place that I ate my entire time in the Wisconsin Dells.  It's a fancier place with two stories on Broadway that specializes in southwestern cuisine.  I got some Wisconsin's Pride pasta with three cheeses on top and it was possibly the best pasta I've ever had.
  • 8:39 p.m. The Sand Bar - $6.00.  The coupon book that I had bought hadn't been used the entire first 24 hours that I had been in the Dells.  I didn't expect a bar to be the first place.  But it was buy a drink and get one free.  I sat in the bar and conversed with Brewers fans while watching the game.  It was certainly interesting to see where the locals hang out.
  • 11:25 p.m. Days Inn - $44.86.  After a full day, it was back to the hotel and to the whirlpool.  That whirlpool made all of the loud noises in the night worthwhile.  They really need to do something about the insulation there.

THURSDAY, APRIL 7 ($94.21)

  • 10:03 a.m. Paul Bunyan's Cook Shanty - $12.60.  A peep of mine said that I couldn't leave the Dells without trying this place either.  It appeared to only be accessible by car when I searched it on the map, but it turned out there was one by my hotel that I missed.  Eating there felt just like camping.  Except it was heated and there were no bugs.
  • 11:49 a.m. Pirate's Cove - $10.75.  This was the moment I had come to the Dells for.  Mini-golf!  This was the only course that was open, but it was great.  I used a coupon to get two rounds and the first got so warm that I had to go back to the hotel to drop off my jacket.  It was a gorgeous day and I got three hole in ones.  The course was pretty forgiving.
  • 3:00 p.m. Glockenspiel - Free.  After mini-golf, the time spent waiting for my brother seemed like an eternity. I timed it perfectly so I had done everything I wanted to do before he got there.  This, however, was the height of boredom.  I didn't even stay until it did the Pied Piper of Hamlin skit.  I'm not even sure it worked.
  • 3:26 p.m. Monk's Bar & Grill - $14.00.  All of the bars in downtown Wisconsin Dells look seedy from the outside.  Inside, however, they're not.  This was the perfect case in point with the perfect veggie burger.  It also turned out to be perfect timing since my brother called as I was walking home from it.
  • 5:34 p.m. Moosejaw Pizza & Brewing Company - $12.00.  This place was kind of crap.  They had crap pizza.  They had great beer though.  As the Dells area's only microbrewery they did a great job on the Raspberry Creme Ale.  I should have read the Yelp reviews and avoided it.
  • 7:51 p.m. Days Inn - $44.86.  Going back to the hotel this early almost felt like defeat.  But my brother had worked all day and I wasn't in the mood to go exploring for another bar.  Plus I had spent more than enough money for the third day in a row.

FRIDAY, APRIL 8 ($121.86)

  • 11:44 a.m. Buffalo Phil's Pizza & Grille - $12.00.  They're the sister bar of Moosejaw so I don't know why I expected any better.  They had an all you can eat pasta bar that was acceptable.  I guess.  At least it was a lot of carbs with which to bowl.
  • 1:41 p.m. Knuckleheads Bowling & Indoor Amusement Park - $22.00.  My brother caught this Groupon and said it was what he wanted to do.  And bowling there was a blast.  The lanes were very forgiving and I got a 168 - my highest score in a very long time.  The beer was good. It should be since it was Moosejaw's.  They own this too.
  • 7:46 p.m. Mexicali Rose - $22.00.  When my brother finally got hungry from the all you can eat buffet again, we couldn't decide where to go.  We decided on a little cafe near the hotel.  It wasn't open, so we went to the Mexican restaurant next door.  And my goodness it was awful.  And expensive.  But at least the portions were big.
  • 9:48 p.m. Captain Brady's Showboat Saloon - $5.00.  This was the first place I saw that called to me when I got off the train.  Walking in on a DJ night, the crowd was positively wild.  It reminded me of Wrigleyville.  But in the Dells, this familiarity was a good thing.
  • 11:11 p.m. Days Inn - $60.86.  The hotel started to fill up once the weekend finally arrived.  There was even a creepy guy listening loudly to 70s music by the whirlpool.  But I didn't let him freak me out since I needed it.

SATURDAY, APRIL 9 ($82.71)

  • 9:40 a.m. Paul Bunyan's Cook Shanty - Free.  My brother paid for breakfast since I had paid for dinner the night before.  It was every bit as good the second time.  I have to say that I'm kind of a Paul Bunyan's addict at this point.
  • 10:25 a.m. Out Of The Woods - $20.23.  I ended up buying a couple of the trinkets that I had priced on the first day.  This was in spite of the fact that I overspent in the days inbetween.
  • 10:40 a.m. Goody Goody Gumdrop - $3.88.  Even though I knew it as supposed to be kitschy, I could not pass up a candy store with this name.  I ended up buying salt water taffy.  I'm sure it wasn't even local to the Dells, but it tasted good.
  • 11:27 a.m. Aunt Jenny's Got It All Store - $1.60.  This was in the parking lot of the hotel and in the coupon book.  It was half price for any magnet.  I had tried to avoid buying trinkets but this one I could live with as all of my refrigerator magnets were already in a baggie and this would fit right in.
  • 11:54 a.m. Wisconsin Dells Amtrak Stop - $45.00.  The way home was a bit more money since it was on a weekend.  And it was a beautiful day so another mini-golf place had decided to open.  Unfortunately, I couldn't afford another night in the Dells so I boarded the replacement bus for my broken train.
  • 3:03 p.m. Milwaukee Amtrak Station - Free.  The bus arrived just in time to catch the Hiawatha Train from Milwaukee to Chicago.  I liked this train.  It had power outlets for a laptop.  Or a phone in my case.
  • 4:42 p.m. Chicago Union Station - Free.  I fought off the urge to get more Taco Bell.  And I went home and took a nap.  The vacation was both restful (especially the whirlpool) and exhausting at the same time.
  • 10:09 p.m. Small Bar Fullerton - $12.00.  Originally, I had planned to stay in the Dells over a weekend, but I got home early in order to go to a birthday party.  And it was worth it.  Really fun.  Although I ended up eating for only the second time that day at it.  That probably wasn't a good idea.

SUNDAY, APRIL 10 ($13.83)

  • 12:33 p.m. Brookfield Zoo - $4.72.  One of my peeps had a membership to the zoo so my only expense was getting there.  I missed the Metra, so I ended up taking the Pink Line there.  It was more scary than any animal from the zoo on the loose.  Still, it was a great time and I got back to the city surprisingy early.  I did spend money at the Taco Bell drive through though.
  • 3:33 p.m. Home Depot - $9.11.  My worst fear was realized when I ran out of boxes again.  I bought packing material as well this time so I could start sealing things.

MONDAY, APRIL 11 ($22.13)

  • 2:57 p.m. Falafill - $1.00.  Using a Groupon that I had bought a long time before, I managed to fill myself up after not eating all day nicely.  Their "topping bar" is huge.  Almost as great as Sultan Market's.
  • 3:15 p.m. Walgreens - $4.93.  I was out of razors again and rather than grow a playoff beard, I decided to stop at this Walgreens right across the street from the restaurant.  And from my bank.
  • 3:50 p.m. Borders - $12.30.  I couldn't help but go inside of this Borders one last time just to see what they had left.  It turned out they had signed copies of Ed Schultz's book at 80% off.  I could not pass that up.  I would have regretted it forever.  Then I bought another book on bucking the big box economy.  That felt a little ironic.
  • 9:19 p.m. Bubbleland - $3.90.  The first of my sweater trips.  I own far too many sweaters.  But throwing them out or donating them isn't an option.  I love them too much!

So that's $542.88.  I don't even count this like a normal week since I was on vacation.  And considering that I set aside a $500.00 budget for the Wisconsin Dells, I managed to stay right around it.  I was hoping to beat it, but that was a pipe dream.  Looks like I didn't save myself $20.00 since I'm done long before Buffalo Tom will take the stage.  There are dozens of things I should be doing instead.  But, come on, it's Buffalo Tom!  My total money spent since I've been unemployed is $2588.56.

No comments:

Post a Comment