Wednesday, August 24, 2011

How I Spent The Thirty-Third Week Of The Rest Of My Life

After last week's mad resume sending frenzy, this week has been much slower.  I keep waking up every morning saying that I'm going to send resumes all day but then end up playing around on my computer and napping a lot.

And yesterday when I went into the city, I was rudely interrupted on my job search by an earthquake!  The nerve.  The funny thing is that it happened immediately after I applied for the job that I have wanted the least of any of the jobs that I've applied for.  Not to be all Eric Cantor (whose district, suspiciously, the earthquake was epicentered in), but maybe that was a sign that I've hit rock bottom in the job search.

Though I still have over 30 bookmarks that I want to apply for before September 1.

The irony of my sudden lack of job searchiness is that I ran out of unemployment last week.  I'm eligible for an extension which I'm going to file for.  But I feel guilty since I didn't really apply for many jobs before I moved here to Washington D.C.  Though I think that I'm still unemployed is punishment enough for that.  I have enough money to survive on for a while without it (especially since I put my money market money into my checking account since it was losing value where it was).

That's one more thing to put on my to-do list.  At least I can be not lazy enough to finish this blog today.

Here's how I "spent" last week:

TUESDAY, AUGUST 16 (Free)

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 17 ($21.32)

  • 11:29 a.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  I didn't really get out of bed on Tuesday.  It was pathetic.  It seems like I can only start my week with a trip to the gym.
  • 12:39 p.m. vFalafel - $8.75.  If there's one thing that I've learned that D.C. kind of loves even more than Chicago, it's a falafel.  One of my friends gave this a good review on Yelp so I tried it.  Can't say I was a fan. And it was expensive and in Dupont Circle.
  • 12:57 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  Trying out yet another nice Starbucks in Dupont Circle led me to apply for a lot of jobs.  So many that I forgot that I was in the area to go to a museum.
  • 4:29 p.m. Kramerbooks & Afterwards Cafe - Free.  I decided that I was going to buy a marketing reference book to more formalize my training in the subject.  Kramerbooks, not surprisingly, is kind of short on business books.
  • 5:23 p.m. Barnes & Noble - Free.  Going into a Barnes & Noble hurt every fiber of my being.  But there are no Borders left to go into.  They didn't have any books I wanted either.  Especially offensive was one about learning marketing from the Grateful Dead.
  • 5:57 p.m. Union Station - $8.57.  Since I didn't really feel well from lunch, I decided to go for Sbarro instead of Taco Bell.  Just to switch it up.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 18 ($31.33)

  • 10:31 a.m. FedEx Office - $5.04.  I decided not to wait any longer to liquidate my money market since it was  declining and I needed the security blanket.  Of course they wanted me to fill out all sort of paperwork.  So it was back to my "office" again.
  • 12:09 p.m. U.S. Post Office - Cleveland Park - $.54.  To be even more annoying, I had to mail in the forms. They wouldn't accept a fax.
  • 12:37 p.m. Naan and Beyond - $8.75.  I figured that a standalone location of this store would be better.  It was still absolutely disgusting.  But other people seem to love it.
  • 1:33 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  This was more of a mercy Starbucks since my stomach was not happy with the crappy Indian food.  And there wasn't much seating anyhow so I didn't apply for many jobs.
  • 3:18 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  I had planned on watching the Fulham match at Lucky Bar.  They were closed.  At Fado, I found out that it wasn't being shown.  So, this is not a misprint.  I was buzzing!
  • 5:39 p.m. Washington Sports Club - Free.  Even though I was planning on exercising drunk, exercising while circling the ceiling on a caffeine high was just as good.  I needed to burn some of it off, or I wasn't going to sleep.
  • 8:33 p.m. Katerina's Greek Cuisine - $9.00.  There were "flash flood" speed restrictions on the VRE on the way home.  Getting to Manassas in-between the two late buses meant I had time.  I wanted to get something different than their delicious veggie pita, but I was trying to save money.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 19 ($42.11)

  • 11:51 a.m. GW Bookstore - Free.  I decided to get academic in my search.  Of course I accidentally chose a college where marketing is just a business specialty and not its own degree.  So they didn't have an intro type book.
  • 12:44 p.m. Big Cheese Truck - $6.75.  Sadly, food trucks are my cheapest lunch options.  I should just stick to them whenever I go into the city.
  • 1:23 p.m. National Geographic Museum - $8.00.  This was my last possibly chance to check out their exhibit on Antarctic exploration.  It's a cool museum.  I just wish it were free since the exhibits change all the time.
  • 3:34 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  I went to the Starbucks on K Street.  It didn't really help my job searching much since it was a really loud location.
  • 5:41 p.m. Barnes & Noble - $23.36.  Since I couldn't find anything better, I bought Marketing for Dummies. Reading it on the way home, it's not as academic as I'd like it to be, but it does serve its purpose.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 20 (Free)

SUNDAY, AUGUST 21 ($15.14)

  • 5:23 p.m. County Center Owner's Association Clubhouse - Free.  Returning to the condo's fitness center reminded me why I joined a gym in the city.  But since I wasn't planning on going back into town any time soon, I figured going here was for the best.
  • 7:27 p.m. Amici's Restaurant - $9.00.  I had pretty much run out of food in the condo so I was really hungry by the time I got to this buffet.  So worth it!
  • 7:58 p.m. Harris Teeter - $6.14.  Everyone who has ever been to a Harris Teeter knows this was a miracle.  Surprisingly, they have .75 cent burritos.  I mean, it's no Aldi.  But it's tons closer.

MONDAY, AUGUST 22 (Free)

So that's $109.90.  And that included buying a book that I can read while I'm sitting at home applying for jobs all day and night.  When I get to that.  Tomorrow will be better!  Then after Friday in the city it's an all-out resume blitz next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday before I call the temp agency on September 1!  My total spent since I've been unemployed is $6637.39.

No comments:

Post a Comment