Wednesday, May 18, 2011

How I Spent The Nineteenth Week Of The Rest Of My Life

Since the Rapture is happening on Saturday (this rumor has really caught on in Washington D.C., I don't know about Chicago), it shouldn't really bother me that my bank account is getting kind of low.  But since I think that trying to pin it down to a date (and a time if the joke Twitter account @May21Rapture is to be believed - 6:00 p.m.) is silly, I'm going with I need to start doing free things again in the city.

On Monday, I ran a test.  I applied for a job at Health & Human Services that I'm not even slightly qualified for.  They're looking for someone with blood drawing experience and medical research training at a university level (which I'm not sure actually exists except in nursing majors) I'm hoping that I get a rejection letter so I know that I'm not just getting these rejection letters saying I'm "eligible" as a put off.

The government job search seems to be at a slight standstill.  I haven't gotten any more rejection letters, but I still haven't gotten an interview.

These two factors combined means that I'm going to start looking at the not-for-profit route.  That was going to start today, but I was hungover from discovering a great soccer bar in Dupont Circle yesterday and I slept most of the day.

My host sent me a link for TheNonProfitTimes' website and I'm going to check it out tonight at http://www.nonprofitjobseeker.com/.   I did a brief perusal a couple of weeks ago and the jobs looked good. Then again, it's getting to the point where I'm lowering my standards anyhow.  Soon, I might even look in the for profit sector!

How I got to this point was that I finally broke down and got glasses.  I think I forgot how expensive they were going in.  I ended up only spending a little over $200.00 for them since I went to a discount place.  The sad thing is, I won't even get them for about 10 days since they don't have the frames in stock.  But, hopefully, being able to see better will help me get a job.  So, I think it's an investment.  And, of course, I also did other stuff.

Here's how I "spent" last week:

TUESDAY, MAY 10 ($116.13)

  • 10:23 a.m. PRTC Transit Center - $5.00.  It didn't even take a week for me to get fed up with the bus drivers around here.  So I decided to purchase a refillable transit card so I wouldn't have to talk to them anymore.  Plus it also works for the Metro in D.C.
  • 12:12 p.m. Waffle House - $7.00.  Nothing was going right for me with the buses.  I had planned on going to Washington D.C., but I missed the last train.  So I just decided to catch the Route 1 bus down to Dumfries and eat at the closest Waffle House to Washington D.C.  Not gonna lie.  It was really disappointing.  But at least I have a Waffle House 9 miles away from me.
  • 2:25 p.m. Target (Woodbridge) - $104.13.  When I took the bus (another long trip) to pick up the medicine this location didn't have in stock the day before, I also picked up Benadryl.  It has let me sleep at night.  Best extra $4.00 ever!

WEDNESDAY, MAY 11 ($30.00)

  • 1:18 p.m. Nanny O'Brien's Irish Pub - $11.00.  To finally make it in D.C. this week was like a weight off my shoulders.  I decided to explore the Red Line and by the time I got to Cleveland Park (I started in Tenleytown), I was hungry.  So I stopped at this recommended (by Yelp) little local bar.  It was pretty incredibly.  Even if I can't afford to be a local in Cleveland Park.
  • 3:40 p.m. Starbucks - $4.00.  After exploring the Red Line, I decided to explore the Green Line (where the cheaper neighborhoods lie).  This Starbucks was in Columbia Heights, which is supposed to be the next big neighborhood but still pretty scary.  It just seemed like a bunch of people speaking Spanish to me.  Though further up 14th Street, it's supposed to get worse.
  • 4:57 p.m. Pho DC Vietnamese Noodle & Bar - $15.00.  People have warned me that there are no good restaurants in D.C.'s Chinatown.  And from this experience, I'm not holding out hopes to find one.  The pho here was really average.  And the surroundings were too swanky (and, therefore, pricey).  There are supposed to be better pho places around, but I've been spoiled by Chicago I think.

THURSDAY, MAY 12 ($28.00)

  • 12:00 p.m. IKEA - $9.21.  Living as close as I do to an IKEA is as dangerous as living close to a Waffle House.  I couldn't resist going to their food court while running errands.  But this money actually got me more food than any meal I could have gotten for a similar price at a stand alone restaurant.
  • 12:53 p.m. Target (Woodbridge) - $4.68.  For how out of the way this place is to get to, I'm well on my way to becoming its Mayor.  This trip was for hangers so I could keep my interview clothes fresh for when I, hopefully, have an interview.
  • 1:17 p.m. Aldi - $14.11.  I was extremely underprepared to run the errands that I had to this day.  Since I didn't bring a recyclable bag, I could only get the food that I could carry in my hands.  I bought a new bag (so I no longer have to borrow) so it seems like a normal amount.

FRIDAY, MAY 13 ($10.00)

  • 5:15 p.m. Highlands Cafe - $10.00.  At the last minute, I found out Stephen Colbert was doing a stunt in the city. So while I was kind of wandering around, I decided to use my first D.C. Groupon. (which I bought after I was unemployed).  It was kind of annoying that they used it to try out their new vegan menu, but the food was so great that I didn't really mind in the end.

SATURDAY, MAY 14 ($15.88)

  • 7:31 p.m. Walgreens - $1.88.  I just run out of soap too quickly no matter where I live.  Since I wanted to get out of the condo, I decided to make a run for soap.  I wore a Chicago Fire shirt since they were playing and the clerk told me they sucked.  They take D.C. United seriously around here.  It's kind of nice.
  • 7:49 p.m. zpizza - $14.00.  Both of my hosts absolutely love this place and recommended it.  I now love it too.  The ingredients taste really amazing and they're organic.  I got the Greek pizza and it was as good as anything I've had in my life.  At least thin crust.

SUNDAY, MAY 15 (Free)

MONDAY, MAY 16 ($245.45)

  • 3:09 p.m. Potomac Mills Mall - $7.00.  Even though I managed to avoid the inside of the mall for over a week, I finally had to go back since that's where all of the eye care places are.  I decided to try the Mexican place in the food court.  It was just as average as the Mediterranean place.
  • 3:56 p.m. Hour Eyes - $238.45.  I should have just gotten the first pair of glasses that I picked out.  The problem was after the exam I wanted to forgo a further expense until my next unemployment check.  When I came back, I got a different clerk and couldn't find the first pair of glasses.  I liked the second ones as well, but not as much as the first.  Plus I have to wait two weeks for them.

So that's $445.46.  I think, and I mean it this time, that that's the glasses are the last major expense that is 100% necessary.  So I'm going to try not to come up with any others and do everything I need to do with what I already have.  Hopefully my security deposit will come soon.  That will relieve a lot of financial stress.  But it's probably good that I have it.  It means I'll keep looking for jobs wholeheartedly.  My total money spent since I've been unemployed is $4170.90.

No comments:

Post a Comment