Thursday, February 10, 2011

How I Spent The Fifth Week of the Rest of My Life

So again it is so frigid in Chicago that if the day kicks you in a painful place (like the heart, yeah that's what I meant), it's too cold to feel it.  As such, I don't want to run errands, just play on the internet.  For a long time, I have been avoiding LinkedIn for the simple reason that all of the workaholics I know seem to love it.  It seems to be the Facebook of the non-leisure class.  But a couple of days ago, I finally started to use it.  And while I'm not about to use the groups on it (even though I probably should), it has been a more productive use of my time than Twitter (or even blogging).

Shortly after I wrote the last entry, my resume was found and delivered to me.  And while I haven't sent it out to anywhere, it is posted on Monster.  And I've started to cater it to LinkedIn.  If we're not friends on the site (and I actually know you), we should be.  I've never been much to toot my own horn, so some of you might need to remind me of skills that I possess. :)

Anyway, the earlier part of this week was pretty quiet.  Here's how I "spent" last week.


TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 1 ($29.32)

  • 12:24 p.m. McCormick Tribune YMCA - Free.  Before the blizzard that seemed to be scaring everyone into submission hit, I decided to go to the gym.  Not surprisingly since it was the middle of the day and the people who were home were scared to leave their houses, it was empty.
  • 2:26 p.m. Flash Taco - $7.00.  I got the brilliant idea that I was going to go to The Southern.  How I didn't know that they didn't open until 5:00 p.m. was beyond me.  The snow was starting to come down so I just went to the next closest standby.  Yeah, it's barely Mexican food, but I was hungry.
  • 2:47 p.m. Aldi - Milwaukee - $16.32.  Since I figured the power would go out and all of my perishables would perish, I decided to buy some stock items that didn't involve cooking.  The lines were, as to be expected, insanely long as everyone stocked up in case everything went haywire for a time.
  • 9:22 p.m. Cole's - $6.00.  The snow was whipping down at full blast as I decided to join two of my friends down the street at the local bar.  They had power and were kind of crowded with others who wanted to put the brave face on.  I'm just glad I didn't go further since the snow was painful walking home.

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 2 ($10.00)

  • 7:24 p.m. New Wave Coffee Shop - $10.00.  I had food at home, but I decided a hot cider would be really nice. I trudged the block from my apartment on a half shoveled sidewalk for one of their yummy sandwiches and the cider did hit the spot.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 3 ($25.30)

  • 12:44 p.m. Choi's Chinese - $4.30.  I wasn't going to let a lot of snow and a lack of money stop me from doing something cheesy like celebrating the start of the Chinese New Year!  This place has gotten pretty horrible, but it's still cheap.
  • 1:13 p.m. Logan Theater - $4.00.  In honor of the sidewalks of Milwaukee Avenue, and because it was pretty much the only movie I hadn't seen yet, I went to see Tangled.  It was about as not what I like in a movie as possible.  It was cute, but the songs were horrible.
  • 5:40 p.m. The Southern - $6.00.  Their first birthday bash was postponed from Wednesday due to all the snow.  A bunch of people showed up for free vodka and a free Low Country Boil.  So much good food.  Shrimp, potatoes, miniature corn on the cob.  I didn't eat that much since I had dinner reservations but I did buy a Lone Star Beer just to thank them for all the free booze and food they've given me.
  • 9:58 p.m. Green Zebra - $11.00.  I had a Groupon from a long time back that was about to expire.  This was the only day that I could get in.  I ended up going crazy with some incredible food (including a cheese plate that blew my mind).  It was the best meal I've had in ages.  And not bad for just tax and tip over the top of the Groupon.

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 4 (Free)


SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 5 ($39.40)

  • 10:05 a.m. Bubbleland - $3.40.  The washing machine in my building was still broken after a week.  My landlady usually doesn't go that long without fixing it.  Still, the laundromat wasn't so bad.  There was a cute hippie chick there.  But she was washing boys clothes.
  • 3:15 p.m. Chicago Public Library - Logan Square Branch - Free.  My library card expired.  Even though I'm probably moving, I figured I should get it up to date just so I could check out books if needed.  And I did check one out while I was there.
  • 4:16 p.m. Small Bar Fullerton - $18.00.  Usually I would never go to the bar to watch a replay of a soccer match, but the 2-2 tie between Fulham and Aston Villa was just too good to not see "live."  Had the government not blocked my sports streaming site, however, I would have been able to save a bunch of money.
  • 6:04 p.m. Supercuts - $18.00.  Just in case I have a job interview in Chicago, I decided to get my head shaved.  Plus my hair was embarassingly long.  In the future, I think I'm just going to go to one of the cheap places in my neighborhood.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 6 ($19.61)

  • 2:51 p.m. Walgreens - $12.05.  I dropped my toothbrush on the bathroom floor.  This did not help me feel very clean for being seen in public.  I was also nearly out of deodorant.  So I bought both.  Using them, I felt a million times better.
  • 3:36 p.m. Walgreens (Wicker Park) - $7.56.  Another reason that I went to Walgreens was to pick up Old Flats 1901 beer for the Super Bowl party I was going to.  The Bucktown Walgreens didn't sell it (they don't sell alcohol at all).  But the one near Division did.  Just to not seem extra cheap, I also bought cookies for the party.  The beer was a hit though.

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 7 ($17.85)

  • 12:26 p.m. McCormick Tribune YMCA - Free.  I walked most of the way on Sacramento and the fact that most of the sidewalks were not shoveled yet was a workout in itself.  I stopped to talk to an old man who yelled at me for taking a picture on the way and he offered to give me a shovel if the gym was closed.  I turned him down.  I wonder if I have to report that I refused work to IDES?
  • 2:19 p.m. China Fast Wok - $3.85.  Even though I was scheduled to go to pho in the evening, I wanted carbs bad.  So I stopped on the way home from the gym for my carb replenishment.
  • 5:24 p.m. Pho 777 - $14.00.  I was starting to feel a little cold coming on, so I joined a few people in Uptown.  It was expensive, but it did its trick and I went home feeling much better.

So that's $141.08.  No bueno!  In theory, a week where there was a giant blizzard, I should have spent less than most.  It should not have been my most expensive non-meds week since I was unemployed.  I'll have to do better this week for sure.  My total money spent while I've been unemployed is $699.67.

No comments:

Post a Comment